Which Tarot Deck Is Right for Me?September 1, 2014
When your interest in the tarot grows to the point that you are ready to purchase a deck of cards for yourself, you may be surprised at the many options available. Many make the mistake of thinking that the tarot cards come in one shape and form, but in reality there is a vast array of decks illustrated by different artists and designed for a variety of purposes.
Finding the right one for you may prove a bit overwhelming, but with a little bit of research and contemplation on your intention, you will be able to connect with the perfect deck of tarot cards for you. While many people use one dedicated deck, there are also people who collect many different decks with the intention of using them for divination purposes or just because they enjoy the beautiful artwork depicted on that deck. Keep these simple tips in mind when choosing your first deck to help you determine which tarot deck is right for you.
1. Meditate–Take some time to think about why you want a deck of tarot cards and how you plan on using them. How deeply do you want to delve into the symbolism of the cards? Do you want something that is easy to interpret or do you want something with many hidden depths to consider?
2. Style—Now that you’ve thought a bit on why you want a deck of tarot cards, take time to consider your artistic style. Just like when you chose an outfit or a new piece of artwork for your home, you tend to gravitate to a style that speaks to you. There are a multitude of tarot card decks boasting all different styles of artwork. Is there a certain style that you prefer in your everyday life? Do you find natural imagery soothing, or, do you appreciate the stark contrast of black and white illustrations? One thing you can count on is that there will be a tarot deck illustrated with the artistic styles that you prefer.
3. Theme—With so much variety, there are specialty tarot card decks that feature a specific theme echoed in all of the cards. Often these specialty decks are perfect for people with a deep interest in angels, Native American imagery, ancient mythology and other spiritual subjects.
4. Research—Once you know which types of tarot decks appeal to you and how you are going to use it, you can start to research the decks that meet your criteria. During your research, pay attention to how the deck appeals to you and if you find the symbolism both accessible and meaningful. Don’t choose a deck that makes you feel uncomfortable.
5. Shop—Where are you going to shop? There are numerous online outlets that give you a great selection at a range of prices. If you don’t require an extensive selection, purchasing a deck may be as close to home as your local Barnes & Noble or metaphysical store. One bonus to shopping at a local store is that you may find more personalized service and they might be willing to order a specialty deck that is right up your alley.
Remember, taking the time to meditate on your intention will help you discover the right deck by narrowing down the seemingly endless options. Don’t rely soley on your intuition. By meditating on your intention, style and where you shop, you are giving yourself enough guidance that you will be in a better position to trust your intuition and find the right tarot card deck for you.